Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

Individuals must have adequate access to residential energy in order to heat their home and power appliances including life-saving equipment for the disabled and elderly. LIHEAP applications are available from September 1st through April 30.

Contact us for more information in the following counties: Big Horn, Carbon, Stillwater, Sweet Grass, and Yellowstone at (406) 247-4778 or click here to email us.


Both homeowners and renters may apply for LIHEAP. The amount of assistance provided is based on:

  • income eligibility
  • Housing type
  • Heat type
  • Number of bedrooms & people residing in the household.

Households living on fixed incomes such as Social Security Disability Insurance, Supplemental Security Income, General Assistance, Veterans Assistance, or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families may apply as well as the low-income working household.

How to apply

There is a link to the LIHEAP application that can be downloaded and printed. If you do not have access to a printer, please call (406) 247-4778 and request an application to be be mailed.

Please remember to clearly provide your contact information including full name, mailing address and phone number. Social Security Cards and proof of identification (Photo ID’s, birth certificates, Tribal ID’s etc.) from all household members is required.

Application Process

It can take an average of 45 days for LIHEAP staff to review, request additional information (as applicable) and approve or decline an application. During peak winter seasons, the LIHEAP office experiences an increase in the amount of requests so the review process can take longer. Payments are retroactive back to September 1st. The State of Montana sends payments out every Thursday. Please give your utility vendor a few days to enter the payments into their system.

Need help filling out an application?

You can give us a call at (406) 247-4778 or stop by the Energy Assistance building at 3116 1st Avenue North.

Energy Share of Montana

Energy Share is a private non-profit working in partnership with the ten HRDC’s across the state. The HRDC’s distribute Energy Share applications and assist in the reviewing process. The Energy Share Committee meets every Friday morning to determine eligibly of each case.

Unlike LIHEAP, Energy Share is a year-round, one-time emergency assistance loan program for eligible low-income households facing an energy emergency (furnace repair/replacement, utility disconnect, etc.). Energy Share is available only when all other resources have been exhausted and loans must be repaid.

During the heating season, applicants must also apply for LIHEAP if they wish to get additional assistance from Energy Share.

How to apply

Energy Share applications can be downloaded and printed out below. If you do not have the ability to print an application, please call (406) 247-4778 and request to have one mailed.

Please remember to clearly provide your contact information including full name, mailing address and phone number.

Need help filling out an application?

You can give us a call at (406) 247-4778 or stop by the Energy Assistance building at 3116 1st Avenue North.


The Weatherization Assistance Program  (WAP) works in tandem with LIHEAP to  provide energy conservation services for low-income households to improve energy efficiency and ensure the health and safety of the home.


Weatherization Income limits are the same as LIHEAP. Both homeowners and renters are eligible for Weatherization services. If you are a renter, your landlord will need to sign an access agreement before work can begin.

Application Process

LIHEAP applications are also the applications for Weatherization assistance. Once approved for LIHEAP, you will be added to the next Weatherization priority list for consideration.

Once approved for Weatherization, your home will be added to the next priority list. These lists are issued two to three times per year. As long as you are eligible for LIHEAP, your name will appear on each new list. Homes are listed according to degree of need. Special priority is given to older adults and disabled individuals.

How it works

Before work can be done on a home, an energy auditor from HRDC will set up a time to visit with you about your home’s needs for weatherization materials. The auditor is trained to determine the most cost-effective weatherization measures for your home. The Energy Auditor Inspects the home for:

  • Adequate insulation levels
  • A safe and efficient heating system
  • Proper air sealing around windows & doors
  • A proper carbon monoxide alarm & working smoke alarm

When your home is scheduled for weatherization work, either a trained installation crew from HRDC or an independent contractor will come to your home and install the necessary materials. Upon completion of the work, a QCI inspector from HRDC will schedule a visit to ensure all work was done properly and to your satisfaction. They can also provide tips on energy conservation.

Our weatherization crew may not be able to install all the materials you need, but they will do the most important weatherization within the dollar limits allowed. The cost and installation measures must be justified using a savings to investment ratio.

Additional Resources

Visit weatherization.org or Wx TV for additional resources on how you can conserve energy please

For more information

Call (406) 247-4778 or Email info@hrdc7.org

Energy Assistance
This project is funded in whole or in part under a Contract with the Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services. The statements herein do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the Department.

Do you, a friend or a family member need assistance?