IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) & IRS Appeals
The IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) and IRS Appeals gives taxpayers a voice at the IRS. Free help is provided to guide taxpayers through the often-confusing process of resolving tax problems and finding a solution.
Who is eligible?
Anyone with an unresolved tax issue.
Is my tax problem big enough to qualify for help?
There is no problem too small or big – if you have been unable to solve the problem on your own, then you should take advantage of these services.
The Taxpayer Advocate Service is here to help if:
- Your problem with the IRS is causing financial difficulties for you, your family, or your business.
- You face (or your business is facing) an immediate threat of adverse action.
- You have tried repeatedly to contact the IRS, but no one has responded, or the IRS has not responded by the date promised.
An IRS Appeals hearing is the next step to take to resolve tax controversies. You should request an Appeals hearing if:
- You need help deciding if the IRS made an incorrect decision due to misinterpreting the law,
- You believe the IRS is misapplying the law due to a misunderstanding of the facts, or
- You believe the IRS is taking inappropriate collection action or you do not agree with Collection’s denial of your offer in compromise.
Is this service free?
Yes. This is a free service to the public.
I need to file my tax return – can this service help me do that?
The Taxpayer Advocate Service is here to solve tax problems, not file tax returns. If you need to file a current or past year tax return or amend a tax return, please contact our VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) site located at District 7 HRDC – which offers free tax preparation to taxpayers. Click here for more information.
Note: Volunteer Income Tax Assistance will not be offered in 2023.
How can I receive help?
There are Taxpayer Advocates in every state. You can call the Taxpayer Advocate Service toll-free at 1-877-777-4778 to find one near you or fill out IRS Form 911, Request for Taxpayer Advocate Service Assistance, and fax or mail it to the local Montana office at 10 West 15th Street, Suite 2319, Helena, MT 59626 (Phone: (406) 444-8668, Fax: 855-829-6046). You may also visit the Taxpayer Advocate website.
Note: The Taxpayer Advocate Service is currently experiencing a high volume of assistance requests due to tax return processing delays. As a result, you may experience lengthy wait times while trying to connect with an advocate or while waiting for a return call. We ask for your patience as it may take up to four weeks before we will be able to return your call or reply to your request. We apologize for these delays and are taking steps to reduce hold and response times to better serve you.
For more information
Call (406) 247-4710 or Email email@example.com