**IF there are no available appointments, please check back periodically to see if a cancellation has created an open spot that will work for you.
At the VITA (intake and interview) appointment a certified tax volunteer will go over your intake form, verify your identity, collect your tax documents and scan them into your electronic file. On a separate day, a certified volunteer preparer will complete your return. At this first (intake and interview) appointment, you will also be set up with a second appointment to come and sign your prepared return prior to filing.
It is important to understand that the VITA tax volunteers will prepare your state and federal returns for 2021 only. Filing for all other years and or amendments that you make to your return must occur after the tax season.
The income threshold for 2021, which is the maximum amount you can earn and still participate in this program is $58,000. Schedule your VITA tax appointment here: Link here to schedule
COVID-19 protocol will be followed at the VITA appointment.
Self-File Online Anytime
Why use MyFreeTaxes?
- Easy-to-use , interview-based computer program
- Convenient—prepare taxes at home, at the office, or wherever an internet connection and computer are available
- Saves time and cost of purchasing commercial tax products
- Available in all 50 states
Who can use MyFreeTaxes?
- Individuals or families with incomes of $66,000 or less
- Great for tax filers with simple returns, college students, single filers, part-time workers, individuals with disabilities, regardless of age.
What software product does MyFreeTaxes use?
- The MyFreeTaxes software is a product which is being used by United Ways across the country. However, HRDC does not endorse any particular commercial tax professional.
For more information about VITA
Call (406) 206-2717 or Email email@example.com
IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) & IRS Appeals
The IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) and IRS Appeals gives taxpayers a voice at the IRS. Free help is provided to guide taxpayers through the often-confusing process of resolving tax problems and finding a solution.
Who is eligible?
Anyone with an unresolved tax issue.
Is my tax problem big enough to qualify for help?
There is no problem too small or big – if you have been unable to solve the problem on your own, then you should take advantage of these services.
The Taxpayer Advocate Service is here to help if:
- Your problem with the IRS is causing financial difficulties for you, your family, or your business.
- You face (or your business is facing) an immediate threat of adverse action.
- You have tried repeatedly to contact the IRS, but no one has responded, or the IRS has not responded by the date promised.
An IRS Appeals hearing is the next step to take to resolve tax controversies. You should request an Appeals hearing if:
- You need help deciding if the IRS made an incorrect decision due to misinterpreting the law,
- You believe the IRS is misapplying the law due to a misunderstanding of the facts, or
- You believe the IRS is taking inappropriate collection action or you do not agree with Collection’s denial of your offer in compromise.
Is this service free?
Yes. This is a free service to the public.
I need to file my tax return – can this service help me do that?
The Taxpayer Advocate Service is here to solve tax problems, not file tax returns. If you need to file a current or past year tax return or amend a tax return, please contact our VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) site located at District 7 HRDC – which offers free tax preparation to taxpayers. Click here for more information.
How can I receive help?
There are Taxpayer Advocates in every state. You can call the Taxpayer Advocate Service toll-free at 1-877-777-4778 to find one near you or fill out IRS Form 911, Request for Taxpayer Advocate Service Assistance, and fax or mail it to the local Montana office at 10 West 15th Street, Suite 2319, Helena, MT 59626 (Phone: (406) 444-8668, Fax: 855-829-6046). You may also visit the Taxpayer Advocate website.
For more information
Call (406) 247-4710 or Email firstname.lastname@example.org