Energy Assistance – Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) & Energy Share

Individuals must have adequate access to residential energy in order to heat their home and power appliances including life-saving equipment for the disabled and elderly.

Contact us for more information in the following counties: Big Horn, Carbon, Stillwater, Sweet Grass, and Yellowstone: (406) 247-4778 or click here to email us.

Who is eligible?

Both homeowners and renters may apply for LIEAP and Energy Share. The amount of assistance provided is based on income eligibility, housing type, heat type, number of bedrooms, and the number of people residing in the household. Households living on fixed incomes such as Social Security Disability Insurance, Supplemental Security Income, General Assistance, Veterans Assistance, or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families may apply as well as the low-income working household.

What is the difference between LIEAP and Energy Share?

LIEAP pays a portion of the low-income eligible applicant’s heating bill directly to the utility provider during the heating season of October 1st through April 30th of each year. Exceptions are if your heat is included in your rent or the account is not in household member’s name, then it is paid directly to you. LIEAP is not a loan program. Energy Share is a year-round, one-time emergency assistance loan program for eligible low-income individuals facing an energy emergency (furnace repair/replacement, utility disconnect, etc.). Energy Share is available only when all other resources have been exhausted and loans must be repaid.

When should I apply for LIEAP?

Applications are available October 1- April 30.

How do I get an application?

Resource links are provided below to the application for Energy Share. You can download and print accordingly. If you do not have the ability to print an application, please call (406) 247-4778 and request an application package be mailed. Please remember to clearly provide your contact information including full name, mailing address and phone number.

What if I need help filling out the application?

You can give us a call at (406) 247-4778 or watch the instructional video below that walks you through the application.

How long does the process take once you receive my application?

Once your application is received by HRDC LIEAP staff, it will take an average of approximately 45 days to review, request additional information (as applicable) and approve or decline the application. During peak winter seasons, HRDC’s LIEAP office experiences an increase in the amount of requests and therefore the review process can take longer, when time is of the essence to you.

Once I’m approved, how soon will my assistance become active?

Payments are retroactive back to October 1. The State of Montana sends payments out every Wednesday. Please give your utility vendor a few days to enter the payments into their system.

Who can I contact for help on the LIEAP application?

Please view the instructional video on this page . If you still have questions or are unable to view the video, please call (406) 247-4778 or visit us at 3116 1st Avenue North, Billings.

How is Energy Share part of HRDC?

Energy Share of Montana is a private non-profit working in partnership with the ten HRDC’s across the state. The HRDC’s then distribute Energy Share applications and assist in the review process.

For more information

Call (406) 247-4778 or Email


This project is funded in whole or in part under a Contract with the Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services. The statements herein do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the Department.