Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)

The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program provides free income tax return preparation and electronic filing for individuals and families who make less than $55,000. Both state and federal tax returns are prepared by IRS trained and certified community volunteers.

If you feel qualified to file your own taxes, but don’t have access to a computer, HRDC can help.  Our trained volunteers are available to answer your questions and assist you in logging into the United Way Portal: My Free Taxes.   The income limit for self-filing is $66,000.   Call (406) 247-4732 to check computer availability.

VITA Volunteers Needed!
For more information on how you can help, call (406) 206-2710 Marc Burr, click here to email, or click here to sign up today.

E-File On Site

When is the VITA site open?

In-person tax assistance is available at HRDC in Billings and Hardin during the tax season January 31, 2019 – April 14, 2019.  During the rest of the year, the site operates on a limited appointment-only basis. Call (406) 247-4732 to make an appointment from May 1, 2019 – December 15, 2019.

What do I need to bring?

You must bring the following items or you will not be able to complete your tax return at the VITA site.

  • The actual Social Security cards for taxpayer, spouse, and all dependents.
  • A valid picture ID for taxpayer and spouse.
  • All tax documents and forms issued for the tax year, including: Forms W-2, 1098, 1099, Healthcare Form 1095 A, B, or C, K-1, and dependent care amount spent with provider EIN.
  • Last year’s tax return.
  • Check statement or blank check, savings account number.

VITA Locations and Times

HRDC Billings
7 N 31st St (lower level)
Walk-in or by appointment.
To schedule an appointment, call: (406) 247-4710

January 31 – April 14, 2019

  • Wednesdays, 12:00 pm – 9:00 pm
  • Thursdays, 12:00 pm – 9:00 pm
  • Fridays, 12:00 pm – 9:00 pm
  • Saturdays, 10:00 am – 4:00 pm

Drop off times are:

  • Mondays, 10:00 am – 5:00 pm
  • Tuesdays, 10:00 am – 5:00 pm

HRDC Hardin– Drop off location only
501 N Center Ave

February 5 – April 9, 2019

  • Tuesdays, 9:00 am – 11:00 am

Watch a short video about getting help to prepare your own taxes:

Self-File Online Anytime

Click here to get started.

Why use MyFreeTaxes?

  • Free
  • Easy-to-use , interview-based computer program
  • Convenient—prepare taxes at home, at the office, or wherever an internet connection and computer are available
  • Saves time and cost of purchasing commercial tax products
  • Available in all 50 states

Who can use MyFreeTaxes?

  • Individuals or families with incomes of $66,000 or less
  • Great for tax filers with simple returns, college students, single filers, part-time workers, individuals with disabilities, regardless of age.

What software product does MyFreeTaxes use?

  • The MyFreeTaxes software is an H&R Block product which is being used by United Ways across the country. However, HRDC does not endorse any particular commercial tax professional.

Getting Started

Frequently Asked Questions about My Free Taxes


For more information

Call (406) 247-4710 or Email info@hrdc7.org



The VITA program is sponsored by the Internal Revenue Service and supported by local organizations including Montana Credit Unions for Community Development, Montana State University Billings, and HRDC.