Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program provides free income tax return preparation and electronic filing for individuals and families who make less than $55,000. Both state and federal tax returns are prepared by IRS trained and certified community volunteers.
If you feel qualified to file your own taxes, but don’t have access to a computer, HRDC can help. Our trained volunteers are available to answer your questions and assist you in logging into the United Way Portal: My Free Taxes. The income limit for self-filing is $66,000. Call (406) 247-4732 to check computer availability.
E-File On Site
When is the VITA site open?
In-person tax assistance is available at HRDC in Billings and Hardin during the tax season January 31, 2019 – April 14, 2019. During the rest of the year, the site operates on a limited appointment-only basis. Call (406) 247-4732 to make an appointment from May 1, 2019 – December 15, 2019.
What do I need to bring?
You must bring the following items or you will not be able to complete your tax return at the VITA site.
- The actual Social Security cards for taxpayer, spouse, and all dependents.
- A valid picture ID for taxpayer and spouse.
- All tax documents and forms issued for the tax year, including: Forms W-2, 1098, 1099, Healthcare Form 1095 A, B, or C, K-1, and dependent care amount spent with provider EIN.
- Last year’s tax return.
- Check statement or blank check, savings account number.
VITA Locations and Times
7 N 31st St (lower level)
Walk-in or by appointment.
To schedule an appointment, call: (406) 247-4710
January 31 – April 14, 2019
- Wednesdays, 12:00 pm – 9:00 pm
- Thursdays, 12:00 pm – 9:00 pm
- Fridays, 12:00 pm – 9:00 pm
- Saturdays, 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
Drop off times are:
- Mondays, 10:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Tuesdays, 10:00 am – 5:00 pm
HRDC Hardin– Drop off location only
501 N Center Ave
February 5 – April 9, 2019
- Tuesdays, 9:00 am – 11:00 am
Watch a short video about getting help to prepare your own taxes:
Self-File Online Anytime
Why use MyFreeTaxes?
- Easy-to-use , interview-based computer program
- Convenient—prepare taxes at home, at the office, or wherever an internet connection and computer are available
- Saves time and cost of purchasing commercial tax products
- Available in all 50 states
Who can use MyFreeTaxes?
- Individuals or families with incomes of $66,000 or less
- Great for tax filers with simple returns, college students, single filers, part-time workers, individuals with disabilities, regardless of age.
What software product does MyFreeTaxes use?
- The MyFreeTaxes software is an H&R Block product which is being used by United Ways across the country. However, HRDC does not endorse any particular commercial tax professional.
For more information
Call (406) 247-4710 or Email firstname.lastname@example.org
The VITA program is sponsored by the Internal Revenue Service and supported by local organizations including Montana Credit Unions for Community Development, Montana State University Billings, and HRDC.