Provider Services

I want to provide Child Care.

Parents, children, and Montana’s economy rely heavily on quality child care, which both protects children and promotes healthy development.

Who is eligible to receive provider services?

Licensed child care centers, family & group homes, and legally certified providers in Big Horn, Carbon, Carter, Custer, Fallon, Golden Valley, Musselshell, Powder River, Rosebud, Stillwater, Sweet Grass, Treasure, Wheatland, and Yellowstone Counties.

What kind of support is available to child care providers?

HRDC provides oversight and resources to ensure providers are given the tools they need to remain compliant with state regulations and deliver a safe, affordable and quality service. In addition to trainings we offer:

  • Tips and resources to improve your program; and recruitment, retention and motivation of staff
  • Ideas for low cost marketing, daily schedules and transitions, and how to operate a safe and healthy program
  • How to implement emergency policies and procedures including medication administration and managing infectious disease
  • Resources to provide developmentally appropriate care for infants, toddlers and preschoolers
  • State and National accreditation, standards, and quality rating and improvement systems

What services are available to new providers?

  • Program Management Essentials and Early Childhood Essentials
  • Assistance with selecting classes
  • Technical assistance for policies, procedures, contracts and record maintenance
  • 360 Support

What types of services are offered?

How do I find training?

There  are a number of statewide training opportunities for Early Childhood Providers. A resource library is also available for your use. offers online training opportunities.  Visit their catalog here for your professional development needs.

Trainings can be found on The Early Childhood Project website by searching the Professional Development Calendar or call (406) 247-4750 and request a printed HRDC training calendar.  You can also download a copy of our Professional Development calendar at the links below:

If you are a provider and are looking for information about how to apply to the Practitioner Registry, please click here.

Montana Early Childhood Project: The Montana Career Path

Online Registration

All courses require online registration and payment through the Early Childhood Project.  You will be required to sign in or create an ECP account to complete online registration.

How do I get information to the Referral Specialist about my child care?

Our referral specialist can update your rates, vacancies and other information.
To be redirected to that page click here.

For more information

Call (406) 247-4700 or Email Child Care Department

Best Beginnings Family/Friend/Neighbor (formerly LCP)

What is a Family/Friend/Neighbor (FFN)?

A Family/Friend/Neighbor is a special certification for a friend or family member that cares for up to two children from different families or all the children in one sibling group. The family that is receiving care must be eligible for the Best Beginnings Child Care Scholarship.  Click here for the FFN page on

How do I apply to become a Family/Friend/Neighbor (FFN)?

  • You will only be eligible to become an FFN if the family you are providing child care for is eligible for the Best Beginnings Child Care Scholarship.
  • The family’s application paperwork (which is submitted to the local Child Care Resource and Referral Agency) is separate from your application paperwork.
  • Application requirements include:
    • Family Association Form
    • Forms required for all adults living in the household 18 years and older (fees vary)
      • Statement of Health Form
      • State of MT Release of Information
      • FBI Release of Information form for Fingerprint
    • Health and Safety Checklist
    • Medication Administration Attestation
    • Immunization Certification Form
    • Tax ID Form – W9
    • Training Requirements
      • Health & Safety Overview
      • FFN Fundamentals
      • CPR/First Aid Certification (required for non-relative care)
  • You must submit the FFN application packet to Child Care Licensing:
Mail to:
2401 Colonial Dr
PO BOX 202953
Helena, MT 59620
Or email to:
Phone: 406-444-0597
Fax: 406-444-1742

Contact Child Care Licensing if you have any questions about the FFN Program:
(406) 444-0597 or email

How do I attend FFN Training?

Please click here to be directed to training information on the Montana DPHHS website.



This project is funded in whole or in part under a Contract with the Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services. The statements herein do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the Department.