Child and Adult Care Food Program

In an effort to reduce the costs of child care while ensuring children receive healthy and nutritious meals, eligible child care providers are given cash reimbursement for serving meals to enrolled participants that meet Federal nutritional guidelines, outlined in the CACFP meal pattern.

Do I apply for CACFP through HRDC?

Yes. HRDC administers the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) for the Montana Department of Health and Human Services

What counties do you serve?

Big Horn, Carbon, Custer, Fallon, Fergus, Musselshell, Prairie, Rosebud, Stillwater, Sweet Grass, Wheatland and Yellowstone.

How many meals are eligible for reimbursement?

Participating providers may be approved to claim up to two meals and one snack, or two snacks and one meal, per day, per child.

What trainings are required as a CACFP participant?

Participants are required to participate in two mandatory trainings annually. Please see the course calendar for additional information.

  • 2 hour regulations training includes a review of CACFP requirements, recordkeeping, payments and civil rights.
  • 2 hour nutrition training includes CACFP meal patterns, menus, recipes, and food safety.

Do you conduct site visits?

Yes. We will visit each CACFP participant’s site a minimum of three times a year.

How do I enroll in the CACFP?

Family and Group Home providers should call (406) 247-4700 to apply. Child Care Centers must apply through the state department or call 888-307-9333. Facilities must be licensed to qualify for CACFP.

For more information

Call (406) 247-4700 or Email



CACFP is provided by the USDA and administered through the Montana Department of Health and Human Services CACFP program. In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. USDA is an equal opportunity employer.

USDA Nondiscrimination Statement

For all other FNS nutrition assistance programs, State or local agencies, and their subrecipients, must post the following Nondiscrimination Statement:

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

  • Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
    1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;
  • Fax: (202) 690-7442; or
  • Email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

This project is funded in whole or in part under a Contract with the Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services. The statements herein do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the Department.